Friday, March 29, 2013

Town time and *Important Update*

Hey all!

I'm currently spending the weekend in Hendersonville with Kaity. I have made it about 119 miles, so I have about 2065 miles to go! My friend Tyler who is also thru hiking made it to Hot Springs Wednesday and is in Asheville with another college friend of ours so we are planning on meeting up tonight for some pizza. I have an appointment to get my knee looked at on Monday. I am currently thinking that a good knee brace will make a big difference, and I just bought a new pair of trekking poles to help take the load off of my knees on the downhills. I'm enjoying the rest and spending time with Kaity, but I am already itching to be back on the trail (especially now that the weather is warming up).

***Also, Dad and I were having a conversation recently about gear and he made a statement along the lines of "If I were to start a thru hike right now, I don't think I'd need to buy anything." and I responded with "Well, do it then!". He hesitated and I could tell that he actually considered the idea. I've talked to him a little bit more about it since then, and I think it would be awesome if Pops jumped on the trail with me soon and went all the way to Maine with me. If he wanted to make it a genuine thru-hike, he would just jump from Maine to wherever he joins me and then hike south to Springer Mtn around September.

If you think Dad should join me, let him know by providing support in the comment box below! Thanks for your continued support, this has already been an incredible journey and I can't wait to continue the hike!

-Dan

6 comments:

  1. What an incredible experience to go through all that together. I vote yes if responsibilities allow. Pigpen, I'm so glad you went with the trekking poles. Hopefully it will make a big difference. Good luck with the doctor. Dad and I are pulling or you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go, Brian, go!!!

    I heard you guys had fun in Asheville, and I can't wait for more updates. Get that knee back up to par and walk-real-fast. Lots of smiles and hugs to you and Kaity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I work with your mom Dan and 100% your dad should join you. That would be an oppurtunity of a lifetime for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Kaity's mom here. I'm enjoying catching up on the blog and sending lots of encouragement your way!!! This is awesome. Oh, and my vote is for Pops to GO!
    What a great idea -- Pigpen and Papa Pigpen! Its really easy to suggest someone else do it :) I'll be a regular reader now. Dori

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do it Brian!!!! You aint gittin any younger. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. DAAAN, I Just started reading your blog last night.. Its awesome. I read you were visiting your girlfriend Kaity, and it just hit me its Vandenbuerg!! but I am trying to catch up so I am at your up to date post. Best wishes to you both! and your dad if he starts the hike...I'll read more to find out.
    GCSU Pal,
    Oran

    ReplyDelete