Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Latest Update 3/20/12

Hey all! I just wanted to update on my current status. I woke up this cold morning to a strong breeze, an incredible view, and a bum knee. Between the knee slowing me down and the temperature ensuring that my hands remain numb, it took about an hour for me to pack up my stuff this morning. I figured that when I actually started hiking my knee would loosen up a bit and begin to feel better, but I was wrong. My campsite was perched high on a ridge so I began the morning's hike with a steep downhill. The pain in my knee worsened with every step, and carrying Kara's pack just added to the difficulties. I limped along for a couple of miles and decided I could go no further at the moment. Since dad was already planning on picking up Kara and resupplying me on Thursday, he went ahead and came today. We met up at Hog Pen Gap, got some Mexican food, and I was able to buy a new headlamp to replace the one that I lost last night (or maybe it imploded?). I planned on heading back to the trail, but Dad convinced me to take some extra time to let my knee heal a little longer. So, I rode back home with him and will return to the trail Friday. Mom and Dad are both going back Friday to drop me off and do some "Trail Magic" at the parking lot (they'll be handing out powerade, water, and goodies to the hikers coming through, it's a huge mental boost).

Tired pup after 3 full days of hiking

Hog Pen Gap
Thanks so much for the huge support, you guys are helping me reach Maine with all of the positive thoughts.

-Dan

Or the original Grateful Dead?
P.S. I am now going by "Pigpen"
Is it from Charlee Brown?

1 comment:

  1. I am SO proud of you Dan!!! This blog is awesome, I'm loving all of the pictures. Get that knee healed up, feel better soon! Can't wait to hear all of your stories and hug you when you get back! Have a BLAST!! :)

    - ashley palmer

    ReplyDelete