Saturday, May 11, 2013

Big Miles>Shin Splints>Home Time

Hey Guys,
After I left Damascus I started doing more miles a day, averaging 22-23 for a week straight. I caught up to some old trail friends that I met back in GA, and ended up forming a group with about 5 other younger folks since we all ended up doing the same mileage for about 5 days in a row. It was fun to get to know those folks better and it made the rainy days more enjoyable. For the past few days we had rain almost every day. Wednesday was one of the rainiest days I've had so far, but we made it to a cool spot called Woods Hole Hostel at the end of the 21+ mile day. Woods Hole was the coolest place I've stayed at so far. It is a log cabin style farmhouse with an additional cabin that serves as a bunkhouse. It is run by a girl named Neville and her husband Michael, who focus on organic and sustainable ways of living. They have a big organic garden any free range animals including goats, pigs, and chickens. We shared communal meals and it was a very refreshing experience similar to Buffalo Cove, the place where I've spent the last three summers.
On Tuesday I began experiencing some slight pain in my left shin, probably from overcompensation due to the pain in my right knee (which is better now). On Wednesday the pain in my shin was worse, but I pushed on knowing the hostel was my destination and I wanted to get out of the rain. By Thursday morning, I was limping around and knew the 10 or 12 miles to Pearisburg, VA was going to be tough. I limped into P-burg with a lot of pain, shared a motel room with some of my knew hiking companions and knew that at least a few zero days were in my future. After talking to dad, he convinced me to come home and I agreed since it is Mother's Day weekend and my last opportunity to come home for the remainder of my hike. So I am back in GA once more, hoping to heal up this injury and be back on the trail healthy for a while. This is also allowing me to do one last gear switch as I have lightened my pack weight and needed to change out a few things. I am also going to bring Kara back out after giving her a week or so of rest.

Due to rainy and cold conditions, I simply did not have the energy/patience/feeling in my hands to take many pictures, but here are the latest ones that I did manage to take.



Kalamity Jane carrying a cow skull she found


This is what a shelter looks like on a rainy day




One of about 20 of these stream crossings I had to face on Wednesday



Woods Hole Hostel





Bunkhouse (left) and farmhouse




This was back in Grayson Highlands, taken by Bobby 
who helped me find the trail after I got lost in the fog

Hopefully my next post will not include any injury notifications. It is frustrating to work so hard to cover a lot of mileage and then having it be negated by an injury that keeps me from hiking. Thanks for all of your support, it keeps me motivated when I face tough times. I am doing this hike for myself, but it is nice knowing that I will eventually get to post pictures from the top of Mt. Katahdin for you guys. Can't wait to continue "The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials" (as described by Quention Cassidy in the fictional book, Once a Runner).

-Pigpen

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you get to spend some time with your Mom this weekend and i'm sure she is too. Hope your gets better quick. really enjoy keeping up with you as yo travel north and the great pic's as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dan - Know you're not super excited to be off the trail again -- so sorry to hear about your shins. I AM glad that you're taking care of your self so that you can accomplish your dream. Its on your schedule so no worries. I just know this will all work out for you. It all happens the way its supposed to happen!

    Hugs,
    Dori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope all is going good dan, keep trucking on! Keep updating post, I have enjoyed following your journey!

    - Easton

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dan,
    Glad you were able to pick up the photo. Hope you get some good R&R on your injuries. Had severe pain in my shins a year ago, which took me off the trail. Godspeed!

    Excellent blog.

    B.R.

    ReplyDelete