Friday, April 12, 2013

New friendships in beautiful places

Hey all! Not a very good internet connection but I wanted to give a quick update. I’m staying with Kaity for the weekend again in Hendersonville. It’s nice to see her again and give my legs a break from all of the 20 mile days. Also nice to enjoy the luxuries of fresh food, a hot shower (apparently Kaity thinks I needed one), and clean clothes. The past week on the trail has been my favorite so far. I broke the 20 mile barrier and can feel my legs getting stronger. The Smokies were gorgeous, I had beautiful weather all the way through although the trail conditions were still quite icy and muddy at spots. It’s been great making a close bond with Walker, who has quickly become my closest friend on the trail. Walker is a retired Navy veteran, having served for 23 or 24 years, involved in conflicts such as Desert Storm. A commander in rank, Walker spent most of his Naval career as a helicopter pilot but also taught some classes in the Navy. After finishing up his duty in serving our country, he spent about 8 years teaching at a college in Virginia. Recently retired, Walker and his wife hiked the Camino de Santiago, a famous pilgrimage in Spain featured in the Martin Sheen flick, The Way. Becoming more passionate about long distance hiking, Walker found himself with a desire to hike the AT. He is an incredibly fit and strong hiker and is on pace to finish the trail in about 2/3 the time that it takes most hikers. I am getting behind a bit by spending the weekend off the trail, but he has plans to spend some time with his family soon and hopefully we’ll be able to reconnect at some point. Enjoy the pictures, and try to imagine just how beautiful those places are in person. The sunrise at Rocky Top where I left Memaw’s ashes was almost overwhelming, and it was a very emotional experience that I’ll never forget.

As always, thanks so much for following the blog. Everyone’s support is very motivational and keeps me going, especially on the tough rainy days. Stay tuned for more updates as I prepare to head into Virginia soon!

-Pigpen

1 comment:

  1. Glad/jealous you got some great views from Charlie's Bunion and Max Patch. I made it to Damascus yesterday and am zeroing today. Keep up the good work and I hope you get a clear day for the balds past Roan Mountain- my favorite so far! Keep on truckin' and I'll se ya when I see ya.
    Sweat

    ReplyDelete